by Radiance Calmer, a CIRES postdoctoral researcher.

The Maria S. Merian is currently side by side with the Polarstern. People from Leg 3 and Leg 4 are very busy with the handover, going through the instruments, the location of the materials, the data system, etc. The crew of the Polarstern, the Sonne and the Maria S. Merian are transferring containers of food and equipment that the MOSAiC Leg 4 Team will need as they return North. Both Atmospheric teams met and started the transition. It was so nice to finally see people from Leg 3, recognize their smiling faces, and share with them science and social moments. It was the first time for me to set foot on the icebreaker, the legend we have been waiting for so long… Gina from the University of Colorado, who has been flying UAS for Leg 3, guided Jonathan and I through the wet lab, the data room, three different storage containers, and the upper deck for external storage. At this point, I was completely lost. The Polarstern appeared to me as a giant maze, with material and people everywhere – it was a bit overwhelming by the end of the day. But the visit wasn’t over, Gina was excited to lead us to the other hidden places like the ping pong table and laundry, both difficult too find and deep within the ship. Today my orientation is already a bit better, but I recognize that I haven’t tried to reach the laundry room on my own yet!  Activities are going on everywhere, science and work discussions are often mixed with introduction to new people and laughers. The mood is very joyful. We are all enjoying these sharing moments before the departure of each leg to different directions. Leg 4 is looking forward to heading North soon.

Leg 3 and Leg 4 Atmospheric teams. Photo : Lianna Nixon