July 6, by Matt Shupe, [73N, 27E]:

Matt Shupe

Matt Shupe

Arrived in Tromso, Norway, a day delayed because of East Coast storms. Straight to Icebreaker Oden in Tromso harbor, via a small boat riding with a Swiss filming crew. My bag, however, did not make the full journey with me. At some point along the way it got lost in airline purgatory.  Finally after more than a day of many phone calls, the bag was located and put back into the flow. It is due to arrive in Tromso today, 3 days later than initially expected. Unfortunately we are already cruising into the Arctic Ocean.

So, we embark on a 6+ week cruise through the Arctic and I am forced into taking the ultra-minimalist approach. Left behind are all of my clothes except for those I wore on the airplane, toiletries, supplements, binoculars, camera equipment, hats, gloves, ….and all of the little things. I’m particularly bummed about a few of these: 1) IR camera: I planned to take some interesting IR photos of sea ice and ocean scenes; alas those images will have to remain in my imagination. 2) Binoculars: We anticipate wildlife along our cruise…. I may not be getting up close and personal. 3) Nicer clothes:  Sunday dinner on Oden is a time for sprucing up a bit…. I’ll be arriving in a T-shirt!  Fortunately, I was able to get ashore for a brief shopping spree yesterday morning – Norwegian Arctic style (i.e., very expensive). But I did pick up two pairs of work pants, 3 T-shirts, socks, underwear, and toiletries. Wonder what the chances are for reimbursement from the airlines?

Oden in Tromso harbor

Oden in Tromso harbor

One comment on “Minimalist approach to Arctic field work

• So sorry to hear about this, Matt! Hoping you can borrow some binocs from time to time to check out the wildlife, and maybe Paul can send in some pics on occasion?