Now, we all have had little time to become acclimated to the new work environments we are about to join. Many of us have read up on the subjects that we will be working on and are enthusiastic about the work we will be doing. There is one more thing that ought to be considered however. we can get so wrapped up in our work that it becomes part of our identity. We spend an average of eight hours a day at work. Two to three hours traveling and making food, an hour on our hygiene and an average of eight hours sleeping. wow. that’s a lot of time. that leaves us with approximately three hours left if we add an hour of wiggle room. I don’t know about the rest of my cohort but spending that time resting sounds great. I, however, am going to try and resist this temptation and dedicate that time to learning a new skill.

Jeez, learning something on top of the huge load that we have been given? I must be crazy. That may be true. But, I want there to be something that I can take my mind off of the project and still let me feel like I’m not wasting my time. As they say, “rest is for the dead.”

I have decided that I am going to start learning Russian. What does that have to do with my project? NOTHING! It is a means of taking my mind away from work and still be productive. I must put this into perspective however. I can’t learn the entirety of Russian in eight weeks. not even close. I can, however, learn enough to hold a very basic conversation with a Russian friend. So my goal, other than doing great in this program, is to learn an elementary amount of Russian.

I have set many lofty goals in the past. Few of which have come to fruition. I don’t know exactly what the cause of these failure have been but I have a hypothesis. I failed because I did not record or track my progress. This means that I did not have accountability to my self or means of quantifying my efforts. I will use this large goal to test my hypothesis. It may not be the only factor holding me back but I think that it will give me some insights as to its efficacy or magnitude of its effect.

I am curious if any others in my cohort have set any lofty goals. have any of you thought of doing something over this summer that is ambitious or seemingly out of reach? It can be some skill or character trait or even a change in habit. Let me know!

Oh. Here is the rock or Gibraltar.

Related image

One comment on “Starting the 2019 internship.