20 July 2014, Matt Shupe [77N, 130E]: 

Matt Shupe

Matt Shupe

I’m here for the clouds, and the general adventure. The clouds are a big problem for global climate research. They are poorly represented in numerical models, especially over the Arctic Ocean because we have so few measurements out here. Thus, much of my career has been dedicated to improving our knowledge of Arctic clouds. ACSE is a nice addition to my adventures in search of Arctic clouds: most to date have been on the other side of the Arctic—Alaska, Greenland, Canada, the Beaufort Sea. This voyage is a great opportunity to make observations in the Russian Arctic, an area that is vast and has experienced a great deal of sea ice melt over the past decade or more. Most of my research is based on combining measurements from a complementary suite of instruments that together give us detailed information on cloud mass, radiative properties, turbulence, precipitation, and other processes. On this cruise we have a cloud radar, a lidar (laser), multiple radiometers, and radiosondes that will all contribute to my analyses.    

As for the adventure part of this cruise: that is great too. It’s always fun to be in the sea ice, to experience unique conditions, and see sights seldom observed by humans. And I very much enjoy learning about other research, like the ocean sediment and methane research conducted by most onboard. But, I’m also thinking fondly of my family and looking forward to getting home to catch a little summer fun with them before the winter comes again in Colorado!