Yesterday morning the ACT-15 team had to deal with gale force winds described by Mike as “the worst storm yet”. Snow was blowing directly into the torn latrine tent and no one dared to venture out to the privy…for a while anyway. At least they enjoyed a hearty musk ox goulash for dinner.
All the work at DYE 2 has been completed successfully and most of their cargo is already packed up. A twin otter flight from Iceland was originally scheduled to pick them up today, however, continuing snow is delaying the flight until tomorrow, May 24 (pending weather conditions). After spending the last three weeks on the ice sheet, it would be an understatement to say that they are looking forward to returning to the KISS (Kangerlussuaq International Science Support) facility for a hot shower! After arriving, two of the team members will fly home commercially from Kangerlussuaq and 4 others will remain to complete additional work at other camps located further north, including Summit Camp, Crawford Point, NEGIS and GRIP.
The day off allowed for an afternoon to explore the abandoned DYE 2 station. Here are some images taken from the deserted site two years ago during the ACT-13 campaign:
I’m sure we’ll be hearing directly from the team very soon!