Walking around the hallways of NOAA, you sometimes happen to stumble upon some pretty interesting and often off-the-wall conversations (and no, of course I definitely am NOT eavesdropping…). This particular week I walked past two rather distinguished looking men and heard one of them say “…it’s not rocket science…”. When I heard that, I couldn’t help but almost chuckle. I mean really. This is NOAA. Our department works on anything from solar physics to satellite operation to data analysis to space weather. Might as well be rocket science! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this stuff is hard and complex!

Truth be told, I can’t help but feel excited and proud to be walking up to the NOAA building every morning. There is something so satisfactory about making discoveries in my work and doing something that influences the lives of basically every person on our planet (even those that are in space). I don’t know exactly what it is that I want to do still, but whatever I decide, I hope it is similar in the sense that it has the capability of changing people’s lives and making the world a better place.

P. S. Do I sound like a pageant contestant yet?