This three day weekend couldn’t have happened at a more needed time if it was planned. Maybe it was…I still ended up in Boulder all weekend, but it was for a Dead show at Folsom Field…so, not really work related.

I needed a little break from the screen…still loving the opportunity…and really syncing up with my mentor. Imtiaz is seriously the most patient, calm and laid back person I have met. He is genuinely friendly and cares about the world around him, and the relationships he makes with people. This is a great character trait for a mentor- especially in a high stress/high pressure situation like the one coming up in a couple weeks.

The project is coming along at a brisk pace. Well enough to add in streamflow to our variables. Which really is an important factor when considering drought. We can pick stations that are upstream from the reservoirs in question, and then get the whole picture. How much snow, what elevation, temps and how fast did it get down the river? I also got a chance to talk to one of the project directors last week, which was pretty cool. Even though he has an office three doors down from mine, I didn’t think to approach him for his thoughts. He and Dr. Dewes (who left for maternity leave the day I arrived, and have not yet met) visited the WRIR a month ago, so he told me all about their trip.  It really personalized the project for me, it literally put faces and pictures to what had previously just been numbers on spreadsheets.  Besides the fact that the pics will be crucial for a great poster, it was just cool to look at the project in a more “macro” perspective…so, here are some pics of the Wind River Indian Reservation:

WRIR, Wyoming

WRIR, Wyoming

petroglyphs

petroglyphs

IMG_0587 IMG_0594 IMG_0601 IMG_0603 IMG_0619

Cheers,

Ward

One comment on “Half-time?

• Wow, beautiful landscapes, and yes I can see why you would feel more of a connection to the project now. The reservoir is certainly low. I can’t wait to see all your graphs and hear what’s happening and possible management change ideas. You are contributing something important to this tribe.