My name is Michaela Brannum and I am working with Jimmy McCutchan this summer in the Department of Limnology, which is the study of inland waters. I am a Marine Biology major so limnology was about as close as I could get to learning something that would benefit my knowledge of my major in the future. The first couple of weeks were stressful as I was not really sure what direction my project would be taking. I did not feel comfortable because limnology is not something I have studied before and I certainly did not feel confident with what I was doing. I have also already concluded that limnology is not something that I am passionate about. For whatever reason, saltwater is more fascinating. I was surprised that I would be focusing more on the chemistry aspects of lakes this summer when that is unfortunately my least favorite subject. I really enjoy physics and biology. That being said, it was difficult to find the motivation to get excited about the subject I would be studying for the summer. However, I am now very excited about my project as it is finally rolling. I am feeling more confident and comfortable with what I am doing. My mentor and I recently went to the hardware store to gather materials and I set them up. I also received my first set of samples and they are now incubating in the pool. I am also thrilled that my project is set up in a greenhouse which is a serene environment to work in. I am looking forward to what the rest of the summer holds but I am still nervous as so much could still go wrong.

Signing off for now,

Michaela

One comment on “Week 4: My Journey Begins

• Great that you have gotten a project underway, and you have your first set of samples. I will be interested to see how your data compares across different lakes. Please post a picture of the wading pools with the cubitainers, so people can see how your samples are incubating.