Hi world,

I’m a tad bit late in the game, but none the less I’m here. And that my friend, is a whole lot like what life has been these past few weeks. A little background knowledge about me is that I’m 18 years old, however as of late, it feels more like I’m only 18 years young- if that makes any sense off the bat. Since the beginning, I’ve felt as though everyone around me already knew exactly what they were doing and as soon as I got the smallest grasp on what I’m doing, they’re already merrily on their way to their next checklist item. But I recently realized, that’s how things always appear from the outside. For example, when I go home and talk to my friends about what I’m doing, the tables turn and we change places and I become the expert in the scenario. My family and friends begin to ask me all the questions I ask my peers and mentors, and they feel overwhelmed by it all, too. It’s really kind of therapeutic and reassuring to know that you’re not alone and you’re not the only one who feels that way.  Not to get too philosophical, but I’ve been realizing that this all is really just life in general. You may feel like that as soon as you take your first step, you’ve already fallen behind in comparison to everyone else whose zooming by at full speed . But we never really quite think of everyone else’s starting place and the fact we’re all running separate races. Not all of us share the same goals or are working on the same projects so why bother comparing yourself to others? It’s really useless and brings nothing positive in my opinion. So you might as well concentrate on yourself and the race you’re running. That’s been the lesson I’ve been learning as of late.  Lastly, I keep reminding myself that the only way to continue to grow is to keep applying the lesson and to continue learning, and thats what I plan to keep on doing.

Here’s to the many more (life) lessons to be learned and the season of growth on its way!

Amanda E.

2 comments on “Lessons well-learned and to be learned…

• Amanda, I would say you are 18+ years old! Not many 18 year olds have gained the perspective you describe here. I love the fact that you are thinking about this as focusing on running your own race. Everyone in this program hits a stumbling block at one point, and each person has to learn to get up, dust yourself off and just keep moving forward.

• This is a great philosophy Amanda, not only for this program, but for all things. There really is no use comparing one’s self to others, and as Lao Tzu said, “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step”. I’m looking forward to hearing more about your project!