HELLO! I am writing from my new desk at the INSTAAR building. There is a window next to me and I can see cottonwood fluffs floating by. Right now it is lunch time and I am drinking my favorite raspberry kombucha with chia seeds. Earlier today I processed about 200 sample collecting bottles, both glass and plastic, by washing them with reverse osmosis water then placing them ever so gently into different acid baths. Beware: do not let the acid solution roll off of your gloves and down your arms, it will be more then itchy. Later my team will use these bottles to collect samples of water that has been affected by AMD, or Acid Mine Drainage. I believe this afternoon I will be assigned an organizational task, and continue to read the various scientific papers provided for me to read. One is about 120 pages long, by the way. Anywho! I hope everyone reading this is having a lovely week so far and I can’t wait to hear about what my RECCS teammates are up to!

Signing Off

Maggie Moo

P.s. Sorry I didn’t post any pictures, I simply can’t figure out how to do that! Maybe someone can show me later. I wanted to post the one I got of a baby rattlesnake the RECCS team found!

One comment on “Week 2: AMD and HCl

• Watch out Maggie for your clothes. I washed glassware for years in dilute HCl, and my shorts and t-shirts always had little holes. I suggest you use a lab coat unless you don’t mind holes!