Aaah, the morning runs in Wellington

Yesterday was the last day on the ship, although we got into port on the 19th of May. I was off that ship so fast for a nice, long run after we were moored. We have deployed 35 pieces of equipment, recovered 4 pressure gauges, and spent 10 days out on the ocean. It’s funny, if you would have asked me five days ago whether I would come on the recovery cruise next year to pick up the deployed equipment, I would have said, “No.” But now, my days of debilitating seasickness are far behind me and I can only think of how great the whole experience was. The funny thing about experiences that are very trying is that they offer the greatest rewards. Good lesson for a PhD student, I suppose.

I never posted pictures of the standard aspects of our sea life, our bunks, food, people, etc., so enjoy! It was a pleasure to sail with the PI’s, the scientific team, and the crew, it was a great group of people. Anne and Justin are excellent fun to travel with, and thanks to my roommate Erin for taking care of me while I was sick and for working so hard on the cruise report! And of course, I have learned a lot about ocean bottom seismometer and absolute pressure gauge instruments, data analysis methods, and my future research direction, which is of prime importance

Bunks in our cabin

Our cabin lounge area

Dining hall, where we had a lot of meals, all of our meals, in fact

Dining hall, where our food was served

Bridge, where all the watchstanders worked, and of course, the Captain as well

Laura, Ted, and Yang working in the library. Notice the bars across the shelves to prevent the books from falling off? (photo by Erin Todd)

Dinner!

We had a lot of ice cream choices. In New Zealand, there is ice cream called “hokey pokey”

Erin caught a fish! (photo by Anne Sheehan)

Acoustic surveying on the bridge (photo by Anne Sheehan)

Ted, an OBS engineer at Lamont-Doherty, with CU pride

The Japanese scientists from Tokyo, Tohoku, and Kyoto (photo by Justin Ball)

The entire scientific party