Yesterday was a very productive day for the FirnCover crew: Darren and Max dug snow pits to measure snow density and stratigraphy from last winter. GPS surveys were conducted to gauge how much the camp actually moves from year to year: how much the ice is spreading and it’s elevation (loss or gain).  These measurements along… Read More

The FirnCover research team arrived safely via snowmobile at KAN-U, their first work site this campaign season.  The 67 km (41.6 mi) journey from “home base” camp, Dye-2,  took about 4 hours without any major difficulties.  Upon arrival, it was discovered that Mike’s firm compaction tower was still standing with no apparent physical damage despite… Read More

As the FirnCover 2015 project comes to a close, our climate scientists successfully completed the largest network of firn compaction instruments ever deployed, monitoring continuously on the ice sheet.  The FirnCover network now consists of 41 separate instruments installed at 8 stations across Greenland! We look forward to hearing from the researchers about the data… Read More

The ACT-15 science team is packing up camp and traversing to DYE 2 today.  Although there is still blowing wind and snow, overall the weather has much improved since yesterday’s whiteout storm. Click on the image below to track the team’s position in real time!  … Read More

Communications from Mike this morning initially indicated that winds in the area were moderate and that a traverse to DYE 2 was yet undecided.  Four hours later, I learned that weather had worsened significantly and that most of Greenland was shut down to all flights. Winds had picked up speed with near zero visibility.  Dangerous… Read More

Another storm with wind speeds at 30 knots is keeping the ACT-15 team held back at Saddle Camp for today and possibly tomorrow as well.  Snow drifts keep the team busy shoveling snow off of the tents and entrances. Thankfully they brought more than enough food, so they’re eating quite well.  This morning they had a… Read More

News from the Greenland Ice Sheet reveals that the storm has cleared overnight and after about 12″ of fresh snow, the camp is buried in 3′-4′ snow drifts.  Once they dig themselves out, the ACT-15 team is traversing to Saddle Camp today after having to wait out the storm for the past two days at… Read More

A text message from Mike this morning informed me that the team is held back yet another day as weather has deteriorated into whiteout conditions.  However, winds are expected to calm down later in the day.  If weather improves as projected, the team will begin traversing to Saddle Camp tomorrow.  Considering that the team has been… Read More

Although weather was windy and a ‘bit’ chilly, about -15˚C (5˚F), it didn’t keep the scientists from completing another successful work day at the NASA-SE site yesterday.  Today’s goal is to drill holes in the ice for the installation of compaction instruments, weather permitting.  If all goes according to plan, the team will pack up… Read More

A phone call this afternoon from Mike on the ice sheet revealed that the team has completed work at the EKT station; instruments are successfully transmitting data, and they are well ahead of schedule to boot! If the favorable weather trend continues, the team will start their next journey tomorrow towards the NASA-SE site, located at about 100… Read More