- Administrative Leave for COVID-19 ended May 31, 2020.
- FFCRA –Families First Coronavirus Response Act is still effective, but there are changes to related compensation as outlined below. The funding source for costs continue to be your sponsored funds, if allowable:
- Emergency Sick Leave
- Employee will still receive full pay (up to 80 hours and pro-rated based on FTE) if personally sick with COVID-19, or advised to self-quarantine. This remains unchanged.
- If employee is caring for a dependent sick with COVID-19 or who is advised to self-quarantine, employee will be compensated at 2/3 pay rate for up to 80 hours (employee can use 1/3 sick and vacation accruals to make whole) with maximum payout of $12,000.
- Childcare Leave Provision
- Emergency who is caring for a child under 18 and is unable to complete their work due to lack of childcare related to COVID-19, they may request FFCRA-related leave. Employees requesting this leave will receive emergency sick leave at 2/3 pay rate for up to 12 weeks of FMLA (employee can use 1/3 of vacation accrual to make whole) with a maximum of $12,000.
- New Leave Request Form for use as of 6/1/20. The new form no longer requires signatures from supervisor or institute director now that paid administrative leave is no longer an option.
- Downloadable form for requesting leave (send to email@example.com).
- Please fill out this form as soon as you experience impacts of COVID-19. (Adobe Reader download instructions)
- Please include your signature before forwarding to CIRES HR.
- If you have funding-specific questions, please connect with your finance manager.
- All approved leave requests will be shared with CIRES Finance.
- Campus HR Leave Matrix as reference (effective 6/1/20).
- For more information: Campus HR COVID-19 site.
OUTDATED INFORMATION BELOW IS FOR REFERENCE ONLY
UPDATED APRIL 28 with NEW REQUEST FORM. Per our 4/16/20 Leave Information Session, there are three new categories of leave to be aware of: 1) sick leave for COVID-19 illness; 2) childcare leave; and 3) administrative leave, described below. If you apply for and are granted this leave, the funding source for costs will be your sponsored funds, if allowable FFCRA – Families First Coronavirus Response Act is effective April 1. This federal act requires CU Boulder to provide paid leave (80 hrs) to employees unable to work because of COVID-19 illness (selves, family, or due to quarantine/isolation orders). This is the *first* type of leave to take if you or a family member is sick or presumed sick with COVID-19. The 80 hours are a one-time allotment, which is prorated for part-time employees. FFCRA also includes a childcare “sick” leave provision: CU Boulder must provide paid sick leave to employees unable to work because they are caring for a son or daughter whose school or place of care is closed due to COVI9-19 precautions. As stated above, this is a one-time allotment and cannot be granted more than once to the same employee for different reasons. CU Boulder is offering administrative leave for some employees April 1 through May 16, as decided on a case-by-case basis. Admin Leave is for those whose job duties cannot be fully or partially done remotely, for employees who lack access to home internet, or in a couple other situations. In addition: The Family Medical Leave Act has been amended to allow US workers up to 10 weeks of job-protected leave (in addition to those 80 hours cited above) if you are unable to work or telework due to the need to care for a child under 18 because that child’s school or place of care has closed. Note: this provision is largely geared toward those who cannot complete ANY work or telework due to the need to provide childcare. Broadly: All supervisors are expected to be flexible with work hours, as it may not be the case that someone who normally works 9-5 can continue to do so, given childcare needs. Employees should regularly discuss availability and expectations with their supervisors. Resources: Step-by-step flow chart to help decide which kind of leave to request, and how to go about doing it Downloadable form for requesting leave (send to firstname.lastname@example.org). Please fill out this form as soon as you experience impacts of COVID-19. (Adobe Reader download instructions) Please include your signature and that of your supervisor before forwarding to CIRES HR. If you have funding-specific questions, please connect with your finance manager. All approved leave requests will be shared with CIRES Finance. Below is a recording of April 16’s COVID-19 Leave Information session. Download slides from the 4/16 presentation