I’ve gotten questions from a few people recently about when my year in Mongolia ends. And the answer? It already has! My 10-month Fulbright grant ended in January. However, something I’ve neglected to mention on this blog is that I found out (last spring, heh) that I will be here another year!

I was extremely fortunate to receive a National Science Foundation grant – specifically an International Research Fellowship. This grant will allow me to stay in Ulaanbaatar another year, then spend a few months back at the University of Colorado to perform some additional analyses, and the end result is that I will be able to extend my air pollution studies, in terms of both time and scope. Here’s an abstract of the grant I am currently working on. If you are interested in learning more about (or collaborating on!) any aspect of the study, I would love to hear from you and encourage you to contact me (email: christa<dot>hasenkopf<at>colorado<dot>edu).

I’m very excited and grateful to be spending another year in Ulaanbaatar, working with Prof. Lodoysamba and other National University of Mongolia colleagues, as well as those, of course, here at CU – specifically the Tolbert and Jimenez groups.

By the way, the International Research Fellowship program at NSF is one of the best ways I’ve found, in terms of salary and equipment, for a recent science PhD (who is also a US citizen) to do research abroad and especially in a developing country. If you are interested in applying and would like to discuss any aspect of the application process, how to navigate equipment transfer between the US and a foreign country, or setting up foreign affiliations, etc, I’d be more than willing to talk about my own experiences doing those things as I am very appreciative of those that helped (and continue to help) me figure these things out.

One comment on “Another Year!