Generally, the university does not allow employees or research groups to use university funds for donations to external entities. The university defines donations as both cash or other contributions of food/consumables, supplies, computers or other items to an external entity.

In some cases, the university may grant approval for a specific donation or sponsorship. This approval must be received prior to making the donation. If you or your research group want to use CIRES funds to make a donation or provide sponsorship to an external entity, please speak with your Finance Manager about obtaining approval. You will need to provide an explanation of how the donation/sponsorship benefits CIRES and describe how the event and/or external agency is directly related to the instructional, research, or public service mission of the University, as required in APS #4027, II. B

Additional information on the donation and/or event may also be necessary in order for the university to approve the cost.