This week and the last, I have been learning and practicing the two programs that I will be interacting with throughout my project. The tutorials are a bit tedious, but being able to see my own progress in the matter of a day is HUGELY rewarding.

My desk, where the magic happens. Left to right: coffee (crucial), my computer (Halibut), my desk-cactus (Simon), a UAV image of the Chalk Cliffs catchment, igneous rock.

Notable victory: Tuesday, June 18 was the day I finally made a 3D model of Simon (desk-cactus) using Agisoft Metashape Pro (1 of 2 programs I am learning during this internship) after 5 unsuccessful attempts. Wondering what made this attempt different from the last? Simon sat for exactly 112 photos this time instead of the previous 46. The program decided it was sufficient, pieced them all together, and turned THIS (top pic) in THAT (bottom pic)!

Simon
3D Simon

I am now on to my next task: learning to code using Python. If anyone is interested in learning, I highly recommend the interactive online tutorials from DataCamp. Filip makes coding approachable and fun.

Filip

One comment on “Small Victories

• The 3D imagining program is interesting! It gave me a idea on how to represent snowmelt. Thanks for sharing!