This week is difficult to reflect on. It was both highly eventful and highly uneventful. It was uneventful in a way because I worked more on projects outside of RECCS (such as the summer class that I am enrolled in) and catching up with my family during 4th of July weekend and watching fireworks.

However, in terms of what I accomplished, I think this is one of the more productive weeks that I’ve experienced at RECCS. I got to meet another graduate student working for my mentor. This student’s name is Mylene and she is from Switzerland. She’s an incredibly nice person and I was even able to assist her in gather data to analyze for her projects using the skills I have learned over the course of RECCS. I also had a meeting with my mentor this week and was able to tell her where I felt that I could do more and ways that we could work better together. My mentor promised me that we would meet and she would give me the tools to learn GMT (it’s difficult to just learn online), we would meet with Digital Globe and the Newmont Mining Corporation to see the ground truth data for my project, and my mentor encouraged me to submit my poster and abstract to the AGU and “fingers crossed” knock on wood (I did that while typing this) I might be able to present my research. However, none of those were the milestones this week.

The milestone is I finally did it! I finally got the exact algorithm and was able to make a hypothesis where the Gold is. My project truly is the Gold Standard and exceeds my wildest dreams. I’ll show you the image of my success here!

Cheers to everyone and hope to see you all at the Barbecue!

-Henry

I struck Gold!

The Yellow Areas in the Bottom Hide the Gold!