There are things about me that not a lot of people know, but feel as though I can share with my RECCS family. I am Henry Thomas Arndt. I consider myself from Fort Collins, Colorado and I am studying Geospatial Sciences and Geographic Information Systems for an Associates of Applied Science Degree. I have many ambitions. I plan to earn a Bachelor’s Degree either at the University of Alaska in Anchorage in Geographic Information Systems Engineering and Geodesy with a Minor in Aviation Management (hopefully pursuing a career with the Federal Aviation Administration for using GIS to improve the safety and fuel efficiency of flight) or going to the University of Maryland to Double Major in Oceanography and Geography with an emphasis in GIS. I will be proud to do either of them. Regardless of plans, I hope to earn a semester-long internship in Washington DC through the Consortium for Ocean Leadership in order to lobby the United States Government to improve our scientific knowledge and develop homeland security solutions. I consider myself a Patriot American and someone who stands to bring fairness and meaning to this amazing world that we live in. I tell myself each day that I serve the Ocean First, my Country second, and those I love third. I love GIS and remote sensing and I needed to exercise my GIS muscles in the field. RECCS was perfect. It was through CIRES (an organization that I’ve volunteered with), funded by NOAA, and was designed specifically for community college students. When I discovered that I was accepted, I was immediately elated. I chose to approach with great enthusiasm for the work and cautious optimism for my ability to develop professional and social relations. I am blown away each day by the amazing people and the amazing activities. What I feel the most amazing about is learning how to think. My attitude towards working, coding, learning, friendships, research, and confidence in my ability to succeed in the sciences have taken a massive positive boost. I want to thank everyone so much for all of the opportunity and the chance for this extraordinary program. The stories that I will tell from this will no doubt be incredible. In addition, there is no other group that I will be prouder to share my story with. Thank you for already making this an incredible story and I am super excited to have the privilege to share in your stories as well.

Henry

One comment on “Thinking about the story I am writing here

• Henry, It’s been a pleasure to have your as part of the CIRES e/o family for so long through NOSB. You have a great vision to your future, and it’s great we can be another step toward that. Carry on!