On Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday I worked in the CIRES Limnology Lab from about 8:30 am-1:30 pm, with Tim Baker and the rest of the lab crew with occasional check ins from my mentor Jimmy. In the lab, my main tasks consisted of learning lab preparatory procedures relevant to Total Particulate Phosphorous (TPP), and Total Dissolved Phosphorous (TDP) filtering. For example, I pre-weighed the GF/C filters before hand and labeled the correct glass containers with the proper date, and reservoir/mountain lake site. I also practiced the actual process for filtering TPP and TDP. For example, I started to learn about the oxidation followed by ascorbic acid-molybdate method for TPP and oxidation followed by 
ascorbic acid-molybdate method for TDP. Total Phosphorus is the sum of TPP and TDP. Before filtration and within 12 hours of collection, samples were stored in coolers with ice in the dark.

After setting up the Whatman glass-fibre (GF/C) filter for chlorophyll analysis, the pooled samples were passed through this device for chlorophyll analysis. The samples were poured in 2000ml-graduated cylinders, recorded for volume, and then passed through the GF/C filters. If the samples did not fully filter through, the difference in volume was recorded on a data sheet. Some samples were stored in vials and frozen after passing through the Whatman glass-fibre or put in a device to dry out. From about 1:30pm-5:00pm I would work on my research design in my designated office (room 208). I would talk to Jimmy about construction of my research question, background information, hypothesis, field site and lab methods, and data analysis using the statistical software program JMP.

On Thursday, I went to Green Mountain Reservoir to practice collecting samples at a few sampling sites around the lake with Tim Baker and crew. We took Secchi disk measurements, looking at transparency. We got average measurements of about 1.5 to 2.0 meters in depth. In addition, we used an YSI multi-parameter field meter to measure depth, temperature, conductivity, dissolved oxygen, pH, turbidity, and salinity. We also used a Van Dorn water sampler to collect water at various depths (surface, 5m, 10m, 20m, 60m, 100m, 200m, 300m, 400m, etc.). We used this device to collect samples from a specific range of depths within the reservoir to be taken back for TPP, TDP, and TSS chlorophyll analysis. We started at 8:00am on Thursday and arrived back at CIRES by 5:00pm with the samples. All of these procedures are relevant to my own research and provided an excellent opportunity to learn the proper skills.

I have gained a much clearer understanding of how fieldwork is completed, how the samples are brought back to the lab for analyses, and how the raw data is statistically treated. It has shown me the basics for how to conduct my own research. I also have a new appreciation for the amount of time and effort it takes to complete this process from start to finish. It requires a team of researchers working together and I was able to witness and participate in this process directly!

-Joe