The previous week and the start of the current work week have quickly passed. Last week was really exciting, not only my first week in a career change, but mostly because of the opportunity to meet scientists from all walks of life and visit to the Mountain Research Station near Nederland.

The program has exceeded my expectations thus far. First and foremost I am proud to be apart of a program intending to give all persons a chance to research environmental sciences. Operationally I cannot say enough about the job Lesley, Anne, and Jennifer are doing. As a cohort we have met someone succeeding in the sciences nearly everyday, visited multiple sites along the front range, and have been designated to research in facilities filled with leading scientists and researchers in their given fields. Just under two weeks into the work, and already we’ve been fortunate to have so many opportunities thanks to our leaders Lesley, Anne, and Jennifer.

I have started work at NOAA in the aerosols and Global Monitoring Division (GMD). Betsy Andrews, stellar researcher, has shown me the ropes. Everything from where to eat my lunch and get a coffee for $.25, but most importantly made me feel right at home in an atmospheric science field. Several papers in and on my way to learning the basics of a statistical program (R), I am already thinking more about lower tropospheric aerosols than ever. My brain is slightly below the clouds. I will sign off on my sad attempt at scientific humor.

-Alex

(NOAA Science on a Sphere – wind circulation)

One comment on “RECCS, NOAA, and aerosols oh my