As I was complaining about nothing I could do with my project on last Monday, I have been super busy since last Wednesday. I have all the stuff to do my experiment. As it turns out, reality is a lot different than what you planned. According to the paper we read, the method we are using to quantify the live/dead cells should work. We should have seen the live ones turn green and the dead ones turn red under fluorescence microscope. The live ones turned out fine, but the dead ones didn’t show up… There are so many possible factors that could affect them, so we have to figure why by adjusting the procedure, which is a very long process. Doing one experiment requires a whole day work. Right now I have about 15 minutes before I need to do the next step. Busy busy!! Hopefully it will turn out fine this time!!

Caihong

One comment on “Week 4: Lab work reality

• Interesting. Part of the scientific process is repeatability. Obviously, that’s not been the case in your attempt to replicate what the authors of the paper laid out! Hopefully the next attempt will be successful.