Starting this project has taught me more about science than I could ever learn in a classroom.  It’s not the “cookbook” style that I am used to, no directions, no step-by-step instructions.  That was the most difficult hurdle for me to overcome in beginning all of this.

I thought that I had a project nailed down, and I found out this weekend that it could be changing significantly–that worries me, because this summer is so darn short.  How do I get an entire project like this packed into just a few short weeks?  I must remember to eat this elephant one bite at a time.

All of these worries about time seem to fade away when I go out in the field to work.  Gordon Gulch is isolated from many distractions such as email, phone calls, etc., and I appreciate that.  There is something about spending time working in a place so raw–it helps keep me focused on understanding my place in my research, in this program, and in science as a whole.

I look forward to posting some more here as I continue to establish a rhythm.  I hope to have some of the office-bound interns join me for a field day once in a while, and maybe even some of you that have a day to spare outside of your own field duties.

I have some photos I’ll put into GoogleDrive, I can’t seem to get my computer to upload them here.  I’ll try to get some posted with the next blog.

Cheers.

One comment on “Week 4: Science

• Kevin, you as well as your colleagues are learning science is not cookie-cutter – yes! I am sure that Holly will make sure the scope is narrow enough that you have a project to complete by the end of the program. Gordon Gulch is a great place to work without distractions!