My day started out as a “bear guard.” And I really view it as guarding the bears. Of course I want to protect the people as well, but we really do have the advantage. It is certainly best for the bears if they don’t come here and/or if we are able to identify them very early so we can properly manage the situation. We of course have guns here. I’m not much of a gun person, but have been trained on the use of this tool, if needed. Preferable for me is the flare / flash-bang gun that we also carry. The bears really seem to be scared by these and that can give us the opportunity to get away to safety if there is a chance encounter. We also have many watch people taking up perches atop ice ridges to get a clear view of the area surrounding where most of the science is happening. And on the ship, a super fancy infrared detection / camera system that can see over very long distances with high resolution (The cracks in the ice look like lava flows in the infrared….. so cool!). Eventually there will also be a trip wire surrounding the main camp that, when tripped, will automatically shoot of flash bangs. From a bear safety perspective, it really is a fortress here and I really hope we are able to identify bears early enough to help them leave the area as soon as possible….. For everyone’s safety.

Historic photo from Nansen’s Fram expedition.
Polar bear guards then and now. 1896 image by Fridtjof Nansen, courtesy National Library of Norway. October 19, 2018 image from the Polarstern deck, Alfred-Wegener-Institut / Esther Horvath(CC-BY 4.0).