14 July 2014, Matt Shupe,  [80N, 118E]:

Perhaps a few words about daily life. Sleeping on Oden has been an adventure. I share a room with 3 others, each on his own schedule and each with his own unique nighttime routines and noises. But wait, there is more! This is a ship after all, and an icebreaker at that, so there is the perpetual ship engine groan, beeping sounds from the ship’s multi-beam radar, and the occasional full ship shudder when we bash into an ice floe. And it is light all day. All of these join together in a wonderful cacophony of sound and sensory input that you might think would pose problems for sleeping. Amazingly, and surprisingly, I’ve been sleeping very well. How can this be? I’m no physiologist, but I’m guessing that it is some sort of adaptive filter. I typically sleep in a very quiet and dark environment, out in the Colorado mountains. Here, with so much sensory input, I think my body is a bit overloaded and is basically able to shut down, and shut out all those things that might otherwise wake me. It is kind of like when babies can sometimes fall asleep when out in stimulating environments. So I guess I’m sleeping like a baby.

Some of this good sleep might also be due to the exercise. I’m generally not much for going to the gym, and definitely not a fan of running. But, in this captive environment I have to find SOMETHING to do with my time other than plot data and check on instruments. I’ve been getting into a nice routine (nearly daily) of a 5 km run…. on a treadmill, what a hamster!…… followed by a 1/2 hour yoga practice, then about 20 minutes in the sauna. A couple of times I’ve participated in a videotaped African dance class with some of the other scientists. This regular exercise also helps me keep up with all of the eating!  Three squares a day, and then some. Just have to show up and put it on your plate. Eating is way too easy here. And it is moderately ok, considering that it is hard to support a vegetarian diet without having fresh vegetables. (I reserve the right to re-evaluate that “moderately” as we move into weeks 2, 3, 4, 5, 6…..!).  They do have amazing fresh bread and rolls on a daily basis. And Thursday dinners are a special tradition: Swedish pancakes and soup. I needed a second helping of exercise that day!